Covid19 or Corona virus disease is an infectious disease, caused by a newly discovered virus called severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). In March 2020, the World Health Organization (WHO) declared COVID-19 a pandemic. To the unaware, Pandemic is when a disease is spread over countries or continents.
How Corona Virus spreads?
As per WHO and other health organizations, this disease spreads from person to person among those in close contact (within about 6 feet, or 2 meters). The virus spreads by respiratory droplets released when someone infected with the virus coughs, sneezes, or talks.
What are the symptoms of Covid19?
The symptoms can be very mild to severe. The most common reported symptoms are fever, cough, and tiredness. Other symptoms may include shortness of breath, muscle aches, chills, sore throat, headache, chest pain, and loss of taste or smell. Symptoms may appear two to 14 days after exposure. This list is not all-inclusive and also some people have no symptoms.
Can Corona Virus be prevented or treated?
There is no medication currently available for the treatment of Covid19. Many vaccine candidates are currently under development. However, it is predicted to take at least several months before we possibly have a vaccine in place. Currently, the treatment is directed at relieving symptoms. Hence we should be cautious to prevent getting infected.
How to avoid getting infected?
The common precautions to reduce the chances of getting infected are stated below
- Avoid large events and mass gatherings.
- Wear a cloth face mask while going to a public area, covering your nose and mouth
- Practice physical distancing, Avoid close contact (within about 6 feet, or 2 meters) with anyone who is sick or has symptoms.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Cover your mouth and nose with your elbow or a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Dispose of the used tissue responsibly.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces you often touch on a daily basis.
If you have a chronic medical condition and may have a higher risk of serious illness, check with your doctor or your govt. health camps.
Struggling to increase your productivity during these challenging times? Check out this cheat sheet for 10 easy ways to increase your productivity!