We keep on hearing people losing their safety, money etc. due to online scammers, frauds, con men. Follow these eight steps to ensure you are safe online.
- Protect yourself by having a decent firewall software in place. Windows offers an in-built firewall which is good on a basic level. If you want , you can go for many commercial firewalls software that are available in the market to keep you safe from these threats.
- Don’t post any personal information online for public to view like your home address, email address or mobile number. Even if it is on social networks, ensure adequate privacy settings to keep your details safe.
- Think carefully before posting pictures or videos of yourself. Someone, somewhere could always be having a copy of them. As they say, once something is on internet, consider it as lost for forever.
- Never give out your passwords to anyone, especially to random websites, pop-ups, calls, etc. No Bank or any organization for that fact is going to go around asking its customers for their passwords, OTPs, etc.
- Don’t befriend people you don’t know online; you know it is not safe to invite unknown people to your home right?
- If you see something online that makes you feel uncomfortable, unsafe or worried: leave the website, Close the web browser.
- Use your common sense. Why would any African prince give you a million dollars? Always think before you transfer that hard earned money online to some fraud.
- Respect other people’s view which are posted online and don’t be a troll. This will make internet a better place altogether.
By following these steps, you would be having a basic safety net around when you are online. In this current time of ours, where even countries fight cyber wars online, common people like us should learn to keep us and our loved ones safe and secure.
Stay Safe on the internet! Take Care!